Monday, March 28, 2011

clouds in my coffee

i am a coffee lover....from way back. i remember drinking coffee with my grandpa bates at the breakfast table. he would pour the hot, black java from his cup into his saucer and would slurp it from there. and so did i. grandma explained to me that he did that to cool it down. he and i would sit in silence, drinking the heavenly elixir from our saucers, perfect morning light streaming in through the windows of the old white farmhouse and sounds of my grandma in the kitchen, making homemade biscuits and fried apples.
i have loved coffee ever since. those marvelous beans wrapped in rich brown, with the power to invigorate every sense....an aromatic elixir that warms a channel clear to the soul.

BUT for the past two years, i've had a weird and persistent hangup about making my own coffee. my "coffeemaker" moved out nearly two years ago. for whatever pathological reason, i have been unable to make my own coffee here at my house. i have consequently become tim horton's best customer.

today, all that has changed! i took the plunge and bought a mini plus keurig coffee brewer. this morning marked a new phase of my life as i popped in a k-cup of green mountain lake and lodge java, a warm and toasty blend with sweet, pungent aromatics. in two minutes, i was drinking an amazing cup of freshly brewed, dark roast coffee...and i made it myself in my own kitchen..
the clouds in my coffee rolling in a new day.
i feel invincible.


some of my favorite coffee quotes:

Coffee smells like freshly ground heaven. ~Jessi Lane Adams

See how special you are? I serve you coffee in the parlor. ( :( ) - Anthony Quinn

Coffee is real good when you drink it it gives you time to think. It's a lot more than just a drink; it's something happening. Not as in hip, but like an event, a place to be, but not like a location, but like somewhere within yourself. It gives you time, but not actual hours or minutes, but a chance to be, like be yourself, and have a second cup. - Gertrude Stein

If you want to improve your understanding, drink coffee; it is the intelligent beverage. - Sydney Smith

The morning cup of coffee has an exhilaration about it which the cheering influence of the afternoon or evening cup of tea cannot be expected to reproduce. - Oliver Wendall Holmes, Sr.

Coffee is to the body what the Word of the Lord is to the soul. - Isak Dinesen

We would take something old and tired and common -- coffee -- and weave a sense of romance and community around it. We would rediscover the mystique and charm that had swirled around coffee throughout the centuries. - Howard Schutz, CEO of Starbucks, 1997

I orchestrate my mornings to the tune of coffee. ~Harry Mahtar

And if you're like me
You need hope, coffee, and melody... ~Robbie Seay, New Day

Actually, this seems to be the basic need of the human heart in nearly every great crisis - a good hot cup of coffee. ~Alexander King

One more cup of coffee for the road
One more cup of coffee 'fore I go.
To the valley below. ~Bob Dylan

I had some dreams, they were clouds in my coffee. ~Carly Simon

1 comment:

oil painting dvds said...

This is such a great site! I like the way you set this up! Great content and images as well! Thanks for sharing this!...Daniel